I asked artificial intelligence (chatGPT) to create a film screenplay. Here is our conversation (all images were generated by another AI – Stable Diffusion):
Me: Develop a movie synopsis for a horror film about Marcel Proust and Don Quixote in this format:
Protagonists dark past:
AI: Sure, here is a possible movie synopsis for a horror film about Marcel Proust and Don Quixote:
TITLE: “The Maniacal Memory”
Tagline: “Some memories are better left forgotten”
Key characters: Marcel Proust, Don Quixote, Sancho Panza
Protagonists dark past: Marcel Proust is tormented by memories of a traumatic childhood experience that he has repressed for many years.
Plot synopsis: Marcel Proust, a reclusive author, is struggling to finish his magnum opus, “In Search of Lost Time.” As he delves deeper into his own memories, he becomes increasingly obsessed with uncovering the truth about a traumatic event from his past. Meanwhile, Don Quixote and his loyal squire Sancho Panza embark on a quest to rid the world of evil. As their paths converge, the two men must confront their inner demons and the dark secrets of their pasts.
Plot twist: It is revealed that Marcel Proust’s traumatic childhood experience was actually a hallucination brought on by a rare mental disorder. The events of the film were all in his mind.
Key locations: The French countryside, Marcel Proust’s study, a desolate windmill.
Create a physical character description of Marcel Proust:
Marcel Proust was a thin and fragile-looking man with pale, sickly skin. He had dark, sunken eyes that were often half-closed, as if he were in a constant state of exhaustion. His nose was sharp and pointed, and his mouth was small and tight, giving him a perpetually serious expression. He had thin, wispy hair that was often disheveled, and he was known for his unkempt appearance. In spite of his delicate appearance, Proust was a fiercely intelligent and determined man who was deeply passionate about his work.
Create a physical character description of Don Quixote:
Don Quixote was a tall, thin man with a long, unkempt beard. He had a prominent nose and sunken eyes, which gave him a gaunt and slightly eerie appearance. His clothing was tattered and worn, and he was often covered in dirt and grime from his travels. Despite his unkempt appearance, Don Quixote had a noble and proud bearing, and he carried himself with a sense of purpose and determination. He was known for his chivalrous nature and his unwavering belief in the power of good to overcome evil.
Create a physical character description of Sancho Panza:
Sancho Panza was a short, stocky man with a round face and a thick beard. He had a cheerful and friendly demeanor, and he was often seen smiling and laughing. Despite his jovial nature, Sancho Panza was a hardworking and loyal companion to Don Quixote. He was strong and resilient, and he was not afraid to get his hands dirty in service of his master. He was well-respected among the people of his village, and he was known for his good-hearted nature and his practical wisdom.
Write the first scene of the film
The first scene of the film opens with a shot of a desolate windmill standing alone in the middle of a barren, windswept plain. The sky is dark and foreboding, and the wind howls as it blows across the land.
Inside the windmill, we see Don Quixote standing with his sword drawn, facing off against an invisible enemy. He swings his sword with fierce determination, his eyes wild and his mouth set in a grimace.
Suddenly, the windmill door bursts open and Sancho Panza rushes in, panting and out of breath.
“Don Quixote, my lord!” he exclaims. “We must flee this place at once! The enemy is upon us!”
Don Quixote hesitates for a moment, then lowers his sword and turns to face his squire.
“Very well, Sancho,” he says gravely. “We shall retreat and regroup. But mark my words – this is not the end. Evil will not triumph on my watch.”
With that, the two men turn and run out of the windmill, disappearing into the darkness of the night.
The scene fades to black as the wind howls and the windmill creaks ominously in the background.
Create a chronological list of scenes that will appear in the film
1. Don Quixote and Sancho Panza flee from the windmill after being attacked by an invisible enemy.
2. Marcel Proust sits in his study, struggling to write the final pages of “In Search of Lost Time.” He is tormented by memories of a traumatic childhood experience that he has repressed for many years.
3. Don Quixote and Sancho Panza encounter a group of peasants who are being terrorized by a group of bandits. Don Quixote valiantly defends the peasants, defeating the bandits and earning the gratitude of the people.
4. Marcel Proust becomes increasingly obsessed with uncovering the truth about his past. He begins to have hallucinations and delusions, which cause him to question his own sanity.
5. Don Quixote and Sancho Panza come across a beautiful maiden who is being held captive by a ruthless knight. Don Quixote bravely challenges the knight to a duel, and emerges victorious.
6. Marcel Proust’s hallucinations and delusions become more intense, and he begins to lose touch with reality. He becomes convinced that he is the reincarnation of a long-dead knight, and he sets out on a quest to right the wrongs of his past.
7. Don Quixote and Sancho Panza cross paths with Marcel Proust, who is now completely mad and believes himself to be a knight on a quest for redemption. The two men are initially wary of Marcel, but they are eventually won over by his determination and courage.
8. The three men embark on a journey together, facing numerous challenges and obstacles as they strive to fulfill their destinies.
9. As they near the end of their journey, Marcel Proust finally confronts the truth about his past, and comes to terms with the demons that have haunted him for so long.
10. In the climactic finale, the three men must band together to defeat a final, terrifying enemy, and emerge victorious. The film ends with a shot of the three men standing together, their spirits lifted and their hearts at peace.
Write the second scene of the film
AI: The second scene of the film opens with a shot of Marcel Proust sitting at his desk in his study, his eyes fixed on a blank page in front of him. He is surrounded by stacks of books and papers, and the room is filled with the faint scent of cigarette smoke.
Marcel’s face is tense and troubled, and he looks like he is struggling to find the right words. He picks up a pen and begins to write, his hand moving quickly across the page.
Suddenly, Marcel’s face contorts in pain and he doubles over, clutching his head. He gasps for breath, his eyes closed tightly in agony.
The camera zooms in on Marcel’s face, and we see that he is experiencing a vivid hallucination. He sees himself as a child, standing in a dark and foreboding forest. He is terrified and alone, and he can hear the sound of footsteps approaching from behind.
Marcel’s breathing becomes more labored, and he begins to sweat profusely. He tries to shake off the hallucination, but it only grows more intense.
The camera cuts back to Marcel’s study, where he is still clutching his head and groaning in pain. The camera slowly zooms out, revealing the piles of books and papers that surround him. The scene fades to black as Marcel’s moans of pain fade into silence.